- Breaking Down Barriers opened it’s doors on February 25, 1985
- From April 1, 2008 – March 31, 2009 BDB provided 4,144 hours of services to 150 people with disabilities in the Georgian Triangle
- BDB is one of 28 Independent Living Centres across Canada and in June 2006 was accredited by Independent Living Canada.
- BDB provides the following programs and services: Independent Living Skills, Peer Support, Information and Referral, Self- Managed Attendant Services, Worklinks Employment Services, Accessibility Consultation and disability awareness training.
- The annual budget is $ 400,000 with funding from: Independent Living Canada; North Simcoe Muskoka Local Health Integration Network; Ministry of Health, Long Term Care (Direct Funding Program); Service Canada; Ontario Trillium Foundation; United Way of South Georgian Bay; Town of Wasaga Beach; Town of Collingwood; Clearview Township; Town of the Blue Mountains; BDB fundraising campaigns and events.
- BDB has 10 permanent staff positions or 5.47 full time equivalents. There is one sub-contractor and various contract positions in any given year. The administrative costs are 13 per cent.
- BDB is supported by 110 volunteers who give there time as Board members, help out with board committees, fundraising events, office work and programs. These volunteers contribute approximately 600 hours of their time annually.
- BDB developed and implemented a comprehensive strategic plan for 2005 – 2008 and is currently in the process of renewing and revising this plan
- BDB is governed by an 11 member board of directors from across the Georgian Triangle.